Tulips and poverty

The lush green backyard where I was having a BBQ with friends was a bit dilapidated and the back fence was falling down into the neighbors yard. The yard beyond was hard scrabble dirt with overgrown trees and shrubs where 3 small poor children lived. The youngest one was mentally disabled and had wandered over into the yard of my friends. He was covered in dirty clothing which had fresh stains of blood on them. His eyes were off a bit and I could tell that there was something wrong with him. I gently guided him back to his yard beyond the broken fence and asked his sister and brother if everything was OK. They agreed that it was and that they were looking for him and that he should come home. As I slid back into the yard of my friends place I could see under the ground soft grassy and pillowy earth that there was something under the ground. I knelt down and began to uncover a long cardboard box which contained all the necessary items to grow tulips, sprouting bulbs, fertilizer, growing medium and a bag of little balls of plastic that could hold on to moisture to keep the plantings strong. I unpacked everything and begand to plant them. there were hundreds of these tulips in all varieties and colors. My instinct was to mix them up and make a very mixed arrangement that would grow but since there were so many I decided to plant them as they emerged from the box. Striped and multi-colored bright yellow, red. Every combination thinkable. I felt a sense of purpose and belonging when I finished and stopped to look at my work before wandering back up to the house which was up a slight slope and a bit in the distance. When I returned, my friends, who were all black people, were BBQing and sitting around in small circles talking and eating. I felt a little out of place but comfortable at the same time. I didn't really recognize any of them and or how or why I was there. What was my connection to this group I wondered. It has been nearly a year since I have worked at a steady job and it occurred to me that this might be a subconscious message to get going and get growing and meet new people.

Comments

Popular Posts