Who's shoes are these?

Doubt is a powerful emotion. Can I rise up to meet the expectations life has of me? Last night was a busy night and the number of things I had to accomplish became overwhelming. I managed to do it, but I doubted how well I performed.

I got home late and drifted off to sleep.

This was not lucid dreaming. I repeatedly kept trying to find my shoes. The shoes I am comfortable in. My shoes. I realized that I had gone to bed with someone else's shoes on and that my feet were wrapped in various layers of plastic and tape to "fill up" the empty space needed to fill the shoes someone had placed on my feet. These were large clunky shoes that appeared very utilitarian. I couldn't recall having them put on me, but it was clear that someone else had carefully done this. I wondered how I could have gone to bed with them on and that I was fully clothed. I explained to someone that I had not been drunk and could recall the evening clearly, and this had occurred without my remembering. I took the shoes off and then peeled the various layers of black plastic, duct tape off to expose mt bare feet. I wanted MY shoes. I went back to look for them and there were numerous shoes that had been left behind but none were mine. This feeling was intensely real and I woke myself up to see if I had come home with someone else's shoes on. I needed to confirm that my shoes were intact and where I expected to find them.

As I rubbed the sleep from my dry, squinty eyes, standing naked at the foot of my bed, I could just make out their shape in the darkness. Relieved, I climbed back under the warm blankets to drift off again, telling myself to remember this moment and write it down.

With new challenges inevitably comes doubt. These dream symbols are a very strong cue that stimulate me to take notice. I need to fill the shoes required to do the job. Meet the responsibilities of life. Get up and get going.

Comments

Popular Posts